Quantcast

Which adapter to use to read from TaskLogAppender?

Which adapter to use to read from TaskLogAppender?

Abhijit Dhar
From what I understood ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender adds a \x0A char at the end of each log entry so that CharFileTailingAdaptorUTF8NewLineEscaped adapter will read it by that delimiter and send it across to the collector.
Does TaskLogAppender also append \x0A at the end of each log entry(so that exception stacks are included)? Which agent adapter should I use for it?
As I understand, I need to override log4j.appender.TLA in $HADOOP_CONF/log4j.properties file

I'm using chukwa's hadoop-log4j.properties in trunk.

TIA

Re: Which adapter to use to read from TaskLogAppender?

Eric Yang-3
Hi Abhijit,

TaskLogAppender does not append \x0A character to the log entry.  It should be possible to swap TaskLogAppender with ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender, or SocketAppender to stream task logs directly to Chukwa.  However, in doing so, syslog of the user job would be empty because the log data is channelled to a different destination.  Hope this is helpful.

regards,
Eric