Quantcast

my java process not terminating if agent is not started

my java process not terminating if agent is not started

Abhijit Dhar
I am seeing that if my agents are not up, it is preventing my program to terminate.
I'm using ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender.
I debugged and found that ChukwaAgentController tries to retry and schedules to create a new adapter after 1800000 ms(default) and does 49 retries.

I think since it is not a daemon thread, my program just keeps waiting for all these retry scheduled threads to finish even after my main method finishes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Abhijit

Re: my java process not terminating if agent is not started

Ariel Rabkin
Hrm.  Is this a bug?  Should the agent-controller thread be a daemon?
I want to say "yes but with a shutdown hook". How does that sound?

Do you feel able to put the patch together and submit it?

Ari Rabkin [hidden email]
UC Berkeley Computer Science Department

Re: my java process not terminating if agent is not started

Abhijit Dhar
Hi,

I submitted a patch:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHUKWA-640